1. Clean and declutter....only 3 items on any tabletop...hire a maid to come in once a week while your house is on the market...you deserve the break anyway!
2. Brightening....clean all of your windows inside and out. Open your curtains! Make sure there is plenty of light....and certainly leave all of your lights on when a showing in coming.
3. Music....turn on some light jazz for your showings and Open Houses
4. Accessorize/ staging. Buy new towels and soaps for the bathrooms. Add candles and new pillows. If you are moving your furniture out or don't have enough...hire a staging company. They can also help you rearrange what you have already. It really is worth it! Plus the on-line pictures will draw Buyers to your house.
5. Landscape enhancements. Mulch your yard...just not the bright red mulch. Add bushes and flowers. Keep what you add alive!
6. Clean your carpets and get them stretched if they have waves in them.
7. Organize your closets and line your clothes up perfectly...mine aren't like this, though it always impresses me when I see a closet like this.
8. Make that front door shine! It better be painted nicely, have a lock that is easy to open. If your doorbell is not working or is broken...replace it....and not with a cheap one. Make it metal and wired. Make sure that the wood trim around the door looks good and especially free from rot. You would be surprised what I see.
9. Paint/ seal your deck. If boards are rotted, consider replacing them. Nothing says potential $ than a failing deck.
10. Repaint rooms that have nicks, scraps and too strong of colors. Please do it professionally or be a good painter. I have been to too many homes that have sloppy paint jobs done by homeowners.
11. Seal your asphalt driveway.
12. Plant bulbs for next Spring!
13. Work on your grass....green and weed free.
14. Smells...no strong odors from cooking, baby diapers, pets smells or teenage boy scents.
Invest $1,000 - $2,000 to get your house ready to sell and you will get over $10,000 in value.