Everyone loves the homes along Lindell across from Forest Park. There is a stand of equally beautiful homes along Delmar just West of the Loop designed by Theodore Link. He designed Union Station!
(The notes below were copies from the application to put them on the National Historic Registry. Some of the words may not be correct. I used an automated text copier, which is not always exact.)
The three houses at 7100, 7104 and 7108 Delmar Boulevard form a continuous
frontage along the south side of the street from Vassar Avenue west. All
three were designed by Theodore C. Link and built by Kerrill Construction
Company beginning in 1911. Although comparable in size, the three houses
are of contrasting designs. The Rand Mansion at 7100 Delmar is an elaborate
example of the Georgian Revival, the Niedringhaus House at 7104 Delmar is
Tudor Revival, while the Shinkle House at 7108 Delmar displays design
features derived fron the French Renaissance. All three fit into the
stylistic category of "the period house," and all have thoughtful .
floorplans and careful detailing which were hallmarks of their architect.
The Rand Mansion is marked by a white two-story portico of six Corinthian
columns across the center three bays of its nine-bay facade. These columns
(visually) support a (cantilevered) full entablature with an exceptionally
wide frieze which continues around the whole house. This is surmounted by
a balustrade above the portico and by a brick parapet elsewhere. Above the
portico, the hipped roof has three round-headed doraer windows set in
pilaster-ed, pedimeated surrounds. A similar dormer is at each end of the
roof. The red brick body of the house is accented with limestone details
in the form of a ground-floor string course and voussotrs above the first-floor
windows. The center door is set in an elaborate wooden bay that
projects slightly forward from the brick wall, creating a shallow balcony
in front of the second-floor window. A wooden oriel on the east side,
second floor, has leaded glass windows, and another leaded window lights
the stair landing at the center of the south elevation. Georgian Revival
detailing continues on the interior in the staircase and fireplaces. The
dining room to the right of the entry is divided by a screen of two columns
in the manner of Robert Adam, and the sun room in the southeast comer
(apparently remodeled or enclosed in 193V) has Adaraesque details as well.
The third or attic floor is finished as a ballroom.
The Niedringhaus House is a two-and-a-half-story structure with a high pitched
slate gable roof. It is built of dark reddish brown textured brick
laid in black isortar with recessed joints. Both front and back elevations
have two large overhanging half-timbered gables, and this black-stained
wood and white stucco is continued above the first floor on both ends of
the house. A one-and-a-half-story wing at the west end of the main structure
is similarly treated, with gable end to the front. Four brick chimneys
punctuate the roof line, one at the center of the east end, one near the
center rear, one near the front of the west end, and one centered in the
front of the wins. Stone surrounds decorate the front windows and doorj
the door has a basket-handle arch and is sheltered by 3. hipped hood. The
center window above this is topped by a small stone-carved coat of arras.
A surprise feature is the elaborately curled wrought- iron embellishing
the porch on the south face of the wing, A second porch, one story tall
with white wood columns, extends from the cast sids of the house.
Stylistically! the Shinkle House is the hardest to pin down. It combines
stone and brick in a manner reminiscent of French chateaus of the time of
Henry IV (1589-1610), and the stone front porch with its two pairs of
rusticated Tuscan columns especially recalls the north entrance of the
Luxembourg Palace in Paris (begun 1615). Seen from above, the house forms
a front-facing U) the arms have two bays each and the center section five bays.
Between the arms is a stone terrace supported in the center three bays by
the columns mentioned above, and in the two end bays by enclosed one-story
elements, all under a continuous entablature. Windows in these enclosed
bays, as well as on the first floor of the arms, are in the form of french
doors with top lights) those in the arms have shallow wrought-iron balconies.
The house is of brown brick with black mortar. Glazed bricks fona quoins at
all corners. The windows have stone surrounds, and between floors of the end
bays are stone spandrels carved with foliate swags on Mlchelangelesque
panels that end in guttae. Flanking the large center door on the terrace
or second-floor level are two similar carved I«.nels, Spandrels on east ami
west ends omit the swags. A wide frieze and modillioned cornice support the
hipped roof. Chimneys rise from the east side of the house and the east side
of the west arm. On the west side of the house is a small one-story addition,
possibly built in 191?.-*
All three houses have garages to their southwest, built of the same
materials as the houses, and all with separate entrances to their dormered
attics. The garage of the Rand Mansion is approached from Vassar Avenue.
It was designed for three cars, and is finished on the interior with white
ceraaic tile. A three-car addition to the east was made in 1928. The
garage of the lliedringhaus House has separate spaces for three cars, while
the Shinkle one has a large door covering two spaces.
The ground rises on the south side of Delmar Blvd., giving the houses an
elevated position. The lawns of the Niedringhaus and Shinkle houses are
graded into two continuous terraces, but this continuity is obscured by the
high hedge and large conifers in front of the Niedringhaus House.